October 09, 2023
2552 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2751 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What board games are you BUYING?

More
22 Dec 2023 11:04 #341376 by bendgar

QPCloudy wrote: I’m thinking about ordering a Crokinole board and possibly the Deep Rock Galactic board game. Still on the fence for both, though.

You won't regret the Crokinole board. I just played 40+ rounds last night.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Cranberries, Sagrilarus, QPCloudy, Nodens

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Dec 2023 11:33 #341377 by Nodens
A copy of Stationfall was available for a reasonable price, so I bought it. Some US productions can become really hard to find in Europe, Hellapagos goes for over 50€ on eBay atm.
Also, besides looking like the perfect game for me it's supposed to be an incentive to go out and find/build a good group again, something I haven't had in the last five years. Too much moving house.
Of course, one day later I won another eBay auction I didn't expect to win and have a copy of the Battle at Kemble's Cascade for another fiver, just like that Junta game some weeks ago. This might come in handy in a couple of days. Buying boardgames for other people is fun, I feel like the Great Curator.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, sornars

More
22 Dec 2023 16:10 #341378 by dysjunct
TURBO KIDZ after reading Charlie's review of it. Looks like a riot; will bring it to play with niblings over NYE.

TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE: SLAUGHTERHOUSE after hearing it praised to high heaven here and elsewhere. Should get to play it tomorrow.

STARTUPS, the Oink Games stock-themed card drafting game. Played once, was super fun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries, Jackwraith, hotseatgames, charlest

More
24 Dec 2023 16:54 #341406 by hotseatgames
My girlfriend surprised me this Christmas with Cat in a Box, and, more importantly, the base game for Masters of the Universe. I'm excited to check them out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Rliyen, Gary Sax, allismom3, sornars, n815e

More
05 Jan 2024 11:04 #341471 by Rliyen
After playing Galaxy Hunters, I picked up the expansion Galaxy Hunters: New Ways to Hunt, which adds a different combat mechanic and some other changes.

After picking up Nightfall at Ollie's last year and enjoyed it, complete-itis has set in and I want all the things related to it, even though said things are silly, stupid expensive.

I need to stop going to Noble Knight Games and looking over there, because my wishlist is longer than War and Peace.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, sornars, n815e

More
16 Jan 2024 15:29 #341554 by hotseatgames
Masters of the Universe is back on Gamefound, and since I got the core box for Christmas, I decided to throw in for the "Box of Power" which is basically a stretch goal box with a fuck ton of characters. It is a relatively foolish decision since I have only played the game twice, but I'm not known for good decisions when it comes to games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
16 Jan 2024 16:07 #341555 by ChristopherMD
The fact that you've played the game at all before buying expansions puts you far ahead on the ks/gamefound decision curve, imo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Jackwraith, hotseatgames, birdman37, sornars

More
16 Jan 2024 17:11 #341556 by Jackwraith
Yeah, I saw that come up again, too, and was SO tempted, but then I look at the pile of games on the shelf that don't get enough play and I just can't. I already have another CMON many-vs-one (The Others) that doesn't see enough play, considering I own the entire package.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
18 Jan 2024 14:43 #341570 by dysjunct
NOT BUYING Fury of Dracula 4th ed. After playing Stifling Dark two weeks ago, I remember how much fun I had with FoD2e, and decided to seek out the latest version. Except holy heck, it's apparently OOP and going for $100-$200. UGH. Someone reprint this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
18 Jan 2024 14:50 #341571 by Jackwraith
Didn't even know there was a 4th Edition. And it was printed in 2019 and already selling for $100?! Wow, man.

I played GW's first edition and liked it. Like many here, I snagged FFG's 2nd edition in the mid-00s and loved it, but we eventually got tired of it because it became repetitive. So, I sold it for a nice chunk of change... right before FFG announced their 3rd edition. I traded my way into that one, played it for a couple years, and then traded it away because, again(!), it had become repetitive. Maybe I'm just not the deduction game type. I think I only have one in the house at the moment (Rear Window) and even that sees less play than most of the other (sadly now dissolved) Prospero Hall output.

More
18 Jan 2024 15:19 #341572 by hotseatgames
I sold Fury of Dracula 3rd edition for a nice chunk, mainly because it took so damn long to play. Now my hidden movement collection is JAWS and Mind MGMT. Mind MGMT is the better game, but JAWS is easier to get to the table.

I would have grabbed Sniper Elite had I not already had those two. It's supposed to be great, and I absolutely love the video game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Jackwraith

More
18 Jan 2024 15:47 #341574 by Cappster_
I just made my third tip since Christmas to our FLGS. It's pretty large as far as physical retail locations go and very well stocked (Games and Stuff in Glen Burnie, MD, if you're wondering).

I spent almost 40 minutes walking up and down the aisle, wishing something had jumped out at me in a way that would make me pull the trigger. To be fair, had there been one of the new versions of Ra there, I would have snatched that up, but otherwise... nothing.

Boxes I picked up, but ultimately passed on included: Everdell, Lords of Vegas: Underworld, INIS, and a few others that I can't even recall, only 30 minutes later.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Sagrilarus, Nodens, DarthJoJo

More
18 Jan 2024 18:05 #341575 by dysjunct
Forgot to mention that I picked up:

KAWAII, Oink-sized game (maybe by Oink), real time turning over cards of various ice creams until someone yells that they want a particular stack. Of course you have to yell KAWAII!!!!! which is ... hmm. Kid wanted it.

NEUROSHIMA HEX v3. Used copy for $20, impulse buy off the used shelf at the FLGS. I bounced off the app version (many years ago) so hopefully this clicks.

SURVIVE 30th anniversary edition. Had this back in the day -- not WAY back in the day, but whatever version was reprinted a decade ago. It was okay, but I think it's one of those things that really needs a nostalgic connection to the old version you played as a kid. This is also okay. My main issue is that it feels like it takes too long, but maybe that's just because people should be clipping through their turns instead of hemming and hawing.

MASKS: NEW GENERATION. Bought used. It's a PBTA game about playing a totally not Teen Titans superhero group. Critically acclaimed. I've realized that I don't really like superhero RPGs, despite mindlessly watching every Marvel movie or TV show fairly uncritically. (Actually, just completely uncritically, despite Jackwraith's best attempts [via his blog] at getting me to think about what I watch.). Superhero RPGs tend to suffer from players using the mechanics seriously, and most conceits of the genre just fall apart if any of the characters are not idiots. I am hoping that a more narrative approach, constrained and incentivized by clever mechanics, works a little better than the typical physics-simulator approach of most super RPGs.

TRIO, the English translation of the Japanese NA NA NA. Memory plus Go Fish, but somehow way better than that sounds.

PEARS, the James Ernest joint. Pure push your luck and super fun. Pyramid deck (ten 10s, nine 9s, ... one 1). On your turn, hit or fold. If you hit and make a pair, you get points equal to the pair (and points are bad). Keep one of the cards to track it. If you don't pair up, you're safe and it's the next person's turn. Or you can fold: the hand ends, and you get points equal to the lowest card that anyone has in front of them. Simple and brilliant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, hotseatgames, sornars, DarthJoJo

More
19 Jan 2024 10:06 #341579 by Jackwraith

hotseatgames wrote: I sold Fury of Dracula 3rd edition for a nice chunk, mainly because it took so damn long to play. Now my hidden movement collection is JAWS and Mind MGMT. Mind MGMT is the better game, but JAWS is easier to get to the table.

Ah, right. Still have Jaws and it is a great hidden movement game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
19 Jan 2024 10:21 - 19 Jan 2024 15:00 #341580 by Jackwraith

dysjunct wrote: NEUROSHIMA HEX v3. Used copy for $20, impulse buy off the used shelf at the FLGS. I bounced off the app version (many years ago) so hopefully this clicks.

If my writing a few thousand words about it a couple years ago was worth anything, I'm hoping you'll like this one. You do kinda need a dedicated opponent because playing against someone who's familiar with the game AND at least generally familiar with the various factions is usually a much better experience, but it's not back-breaking if those aren't your circumstances.

Had the same problems that you mention with Survive. I didn't play it as a kid and most of the moves seem quite obvious but some people still want to try to analyze every scenario and... Yeah. Played it a few times and traded it.

dysjunct wrote: MASKS: NEW GENERATION. Bought used. It's a PBTA game about playing a totally not Teen Titans superhero group. Critically acclaimed. I've realized that I don't really like superhero RPGs, despite mindlessly watching every Marvel movie or TV show fairly uncritically. (Actually, just completely uncritically, despite Jackwraith's best attempts [via his blog] at getting me to think about what I watch.).

Ha! Can't tell someone else how to have fun. My regular movie-going crowd has gotten to the point where the first question as we exit the theater is: "Well, did YOU like it?", followed by my varied explanation as to why I didn't. (I'm still sitting on a review of Poor Things that I haven't gotten to because it just wasn't good enough to compel me to take an hour to write it.) I have a deep-rooted affection for the superhero genre, based on my collecting habits of the first 30 years of my life. I also have a disaffection based on its limitations and being burned out on Marvel's output. When I was sick last weekend, I decided to watch The Incredibles and The Incredibles 2 again and still love them both because of their good writing and nostalgia aspects and would still gladly rank both of them well above anything Marvel (or DC) has ever produced on the screen. All of that said, I've never played any superhero RPG except Villains and Vigilantes. It was a clunky system back in the early 80s and there have been upgrades to it, but I haven't even played those, either. Of my once massive RPG collection, the only things left are the V&V materials. It still has a shine to me, but I don't think I'd really be interested in any other system that doesn't have that goofy edge to it (kinda like The Incredibles) and this is coming from the same person who always bristled at the "Comics are for KIDS!!" people, because they're not and I helped run a comic studio for a decade that didn't do any superhero stuff (and was part of the reason I stopped reading that genre.) Good luck with it. I'd probably be willing to try a new system if someone else was running it.
Last edit: 19 Jan 2024 15:00 by Jackwraith.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.293 seconds