October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2717 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Mad Max: Fury Road

More
25 May 2015 22:35 #202934 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic Mad Max: Fury Road
I was disappointed that there wasn't a whacky flying machine or any flying machines in Mad Max: Fury Road.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2015 01:30 #202936 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Replied by Ancient_of_MuMu on topic Mad Max: Fury Road
My wife was highly critical of the first 5 minutes, and wishes it had started once the title card hit. Her view was that it was basically like having a 5 minute montage of Hicks joining the marines and going through basic training at the start of Aliens. He is a main character and it explains why he is there, but it isn't necessary for the story. I think she is right and it is likely that when we watch it in the future by skipping it (I would mainly do it as I don't like the way it was presented, with the editing and footage rushing through things).

I think this comes from the fact that she worked out sooner than most people that these are all adventures of Max at some point in his life, and that we don't need a whole bunch of movies in a chronological order, with transitions between scenarios. If a Conan story began with him locked in a dungeon, we wouldn't bat an eyelid, so why should we do any different for Max.

More
26 May 2015 09:03 #202942 by stormseeker75
Replied by stormseeker75 on topic Mad Max: Fury Road
I saw Mad Max yesterday and The Avengers the day before. Max blew it away. Wonderful action movie.

More
26 May 2015 10:42 #202946 by Egg Shen
Replied by Egg Shen on topic Mad Max: Fury Road
Went to see Mad Max again over the weekend. Saw it in 3D this time and brought the wife. I loved it even more the second time watching it. She fucking hated it. I've drafted up some preliminary divorce papers...
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller, Cranberries, Black Barney, stormseeker75, ThirstyMan, stoic

More
27 May 2015 09:56 #203004 by The*Mad*Gamer
Replied by The*Mad*Gamer on topic Mad Max: Fury Road
Horrible movie! Should have never listened to Barnes! But it was my mistake Barnes only knows one thing games! Music and movies he is in La La land.

This movie should have been named, Mad Maxine! Charlene's character dominated while Max was a sidekick..Typical feminist influence and political correctness that is totally ruining entertainment today!

The music was horrible, the acting with the sole exception of Charlene was dreadful, the guy that played Max was a pussy...The villian could have been played by anyone including Matt Thrower...Awful, awful Awful...

More
27 May 2015 10:16 #203008 by stormseeker75
Don't feed the troll, Precious.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Gregarius

More
27 May 2015 11:54 #203016 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Mad Max: Fury Road
Maybe Weeks accidentally saw a theatrical re-release of Fried Green Tomatoes?

More
27 May 2015 12:59 #203026 by stormseeker75
Or he's just being a douche for douche's sake. That's the likely option.

More
28 May 2015 07:15 #203058 by Hatchling
Replied by Hatchling on topic Mad Max: Fury Road
I saw it last night and was blown away too. Spoiler alert in what follows..

There is lots to like about the film (I agree with all the positive things people have mentioned). One more thing for me is how the action by itself told a story, and this might explain the importance of the very first scene, Ancient. The film is a prison break that turns into universal liberation. First, a lone survivor claws his way out of a pit of grasping hands trying to pull him/her back down, but fails. The next action sequences are of small group trying to escape a bigger group, but there's nowhere to run to. And then the tilt: the only way to escape is to enter into the heart of what you are trying to escape. In the end, there's no escape unless everyone escapes. All that is told almost exclusively through the pure action of chase and escape. Fucking awesome and smart. In fact Barnes's intuition to compare this to the Matrix is totally right on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
28 May 2015 09:52 - 28 May 2015 09:53 #203063 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic Mad Max: Fury Road

The*Mad*Gamer wrote: Horrible movie! Should have never listened to Barnes! But it was my mistake Barnes only knows one thing games! Music and movies he is in La La land.

This movie should have been named, Mad Maxine! Charlene's character dominated while Max was a sidekick..Typical feminist influence and political correctness that is totally ruining entertainment today!

The music was horrible, the acting with the sole exception of Charlene was dreadful, the guy that played Max was a pussy...The villian could have been played by anyone including Matt Thrower...Awful, awful Awful...

Someone needs a hug!

A lot of my students didn't like it. They said they don't like movies that are unrealistic, that take place in the desert, and that there was no plot--just driving to the middle of nowhere and turning back around.
Last edit: 28 May 2015 09:53 by Cranberries.

More
28 May 2015 14:27 #203076 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic Mad Max: Fury Road

craniac wrote: A lot of my students didn't like it. They said they don't like movies that are unrealistic, that take place in the desert, and that there was no plot--just driving to the middle of nowhere and turning back around.

Tell them to turn off their goddamn phones and pay attention. Jesus, there are only like 20 lines of dialog in the movie. Listen to them and you'll see what the plot is and why they're driving.

Can't believe this "there was no plot!" bullshit. No wonder junk like Inception is treated as some kind of densely-packed mindbender.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
28 May 2015 15:08 #203081 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Mad Max: Fury Road
I almost lost my mind all the people crapping on Gravity for not having a plot. Jesus...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister

More
28 May 2015 16:01 #203083 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Mad Max: Fury Road

Black Barney wrote: I almost lost my mind all the people crapping on Gravity for not having a plot. Jesus...

What was the plot to that movie?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
28 May 2015 16:27 #203087 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Mad Max: Fury Road
People think that a "plot" has to be some kind of labyrinthine bullshit with a raft of characters, tons of locations, lots of exposition and a twist. A story that isn't fucking Lost, Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones is regarded as non-existent.

This is sad, because "a man walked down the road" is a story, it's a plot.

Fury Road does more with VISUAL storytelling than virtually any post- Alan Sorkin script. IGN ran this feature last week where they analyzed the opening sequence of the Road Warrior to demonstrate how much information is conveyed in it strictly through visuals. I guess people need to have it described to them...
The following user(s) said Thank You: wadenels

More
28 May 2015 16:28 - 28 May 2015 16:28 #203088 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Mad Max: Fury Road

Mad Dog wrote:

Black Barney wrote: I almost lost my mind all the people crapping on Gravity for not having a plot. Jesus...

What was the plot to that movie?

It's a disaster movie, there isn't one.
Last edit: 28 May 2015 16:28 by Black Barney.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.211 seconds