October 09, 2023
2515 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2715 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Mad Max: Fury Road

More
04 Jun 2015 10:12 #203379 by Columbob
Replied by Columbob on topic Mad Max: Fury Road
Why not shorten it further: papoc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jun 2015 12:59 #203384 by jur
Replied by jur on topic Mad Max: Fury Road
post-ap?

More
04 Jun 2015 13:49 #203390 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Mad Max: Fury Road
I have been struggling to come up with a better reason than nostalgia for why I still think that The Road Warrior was a slightly better movie than Fury Road. Today I ran across an article that made my points for me:

www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2015/05/15...tter-than-fury-road/

The writer has great respect for Fury Road, but just happens to think that The Road Warrior was the better movie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ancient_of_MuMu, mikecl

More
11 Jun 2015 16:51 #204028 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Mad Max: Fury Road
I think I'll have to see this a third time. i keep thinking of the movie.

Last few days I've been jonesing to rewatch the scene where Modern Joe sends off the warparty to Gastown. The way he pays tribute to the warboys, furiousa and all that. I love that whole speech and just the feel of that scene. Love it.

More
11 Jun 2015 23:21 #204062 by SemiColon
Replied by SemiColon on topic Mad Max: Fury Road
Yeah I love the war party send off scene continuing into the "routine" part of the convoy. Love the first glimpse of the war rig and convoy rolling out towards Gastown with the tower in the distance throwing up morse code signals. Both times I've seen it (need to do a third as well), I was drawn to the signal tower. Maybe because you have no clue what they are messaging back and forth and it's just a background touch that serves to let you know they've still got communication down.
Same with the flares. I think Furiosa's second in command dude comments on the flares meaning joe's looking for Gastown reinforcements, so obviously certain colour patterns mean something, but again they don't tell you explicitly what is going on. I love small details like that.

And of course everything else about the movie too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
12 Jun 2015 10:02 #204087 by Black Barney
You know what else I love about the flares, and I hope I'm the first person to voice this..., I love that they very accurately give you a sense of distance of how far away those warparties are. Like as soon as they go off (and they do 2-3 times in the movie), you get a quick sense of the location of that convoy and how insanely far away it is from where you are. It really helps give scale to the world they're living in and these drives are really some vast distances.

I also like how Joe immediately runs to check on his treasures after seeing that Furiosa is detouring away from Gastown.

You mention Furious's 2nd in command, don't you love that we never get spoon fed command structures. He simply tells the other cars, "new orders!", showing a total subordinate relationship to Furiosa, and he didn't even challenge her when she said to ignore the flares and keep moving.

...yup, I'm going to have to see it a third time, that's all there is to it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
09 Jul 2015 22:09 #205910 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Mad Max: Fury Road
There's a few laughs here. I'm glad to see Fury Road having some cultural impact.

www.ew.com/article/2015/07/09/conan-obri...-fury-road-comic-con
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd, Black Barney, Gregarius

More
14 Jul 2015 09:52 #206225 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Mad Max: Fury Road
Apparently Miller isn't a fan of the orange/teal look and wants the blu-ray to have his preferred black & white version with an isolated score option. If it happens it'll probably be my preferred way to watch although with the full soundtrack.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
14 Jul 2015 10:02 #206226 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Mad Max: Fury Road

Mad Dog wrote: Apparently Miller isn't a fan of the orange/teal look and wants the blu-ray to have his preferred black & white version with an isolated score option. If it happens it'll probably be my preferred way to watch although with the full soundtrack.

Once you notice the orange/teal color scheme of modern movies, you can't un-see it. I wouldn't mind watching a black-and-white print of Fury Road some day.

More
14 Jul 2015 13:19 #206236 by boothwah
Replied by boothwah on topic Mad Max: Fury Road

Shellhead wrote:

Mad Dog wrote: Apparently Miller isn't a fan of the orange/teal look and wants the blu-ray to have his preferred black & white version with an isolated score option. If it happens it'll probably be my preferred way to watch although with the full soundtrack.

Once you notice the orange/teal color scheme of modern movies, you can't un-see it. I wouldn't mind watching a black-and-white print of Fury Road some day.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, scrumpyjack

More
16 Jul 2015 10:59 #206354 by Gregarius
Replied by Gregarius on topic Mad Max: Fury Road
The following user(s) said Thank You: MacDirk Diggler

More
10 Sep 2015 10:59 #210323 by Gregarius
Replied by Gregarius on topic Mad Max: Fury Road
This is mainly for Barney, but others might appreciate it as well:
Best Shots Index
This film blogger contacts other bloggers to pick a single favorite shot from a movie and write an entry about it. They're almost all amateurs, so some are better writers than others. Still, it's fun to once again bask in the visual splendor of Fury Road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
10 Sep 2015 11:22 #210329 by Black Barney
oh man, that's awesome, thanks Greg.

The flare going out signaling the end of the very first super long action scene was a GREAT shot.
The hazy mirage-filled visual of the breeders the first time cutting off their shackles and such was amazing.
Max missing 2 of the last 3 sniper bullets and then letting Furiosa fire on his shoulder is great.

I wouldn't have picked any of those as my favourite shot though. It would take me an hour to pick a favourite I think. Joe addressing the convoy before they leave, "ONCE AGAIN WE SEND OUR WAR RIG AND WAR BOYS TO GASTOWN FOR GASOLINE", Furiosa bumping the pursuit vehicle into the tornado firestorm (I think we have a winner here), Nux pointing to his girl, mouthing "witness me", that bullet king guy firing blindfolded into darkness...

hard to pick...

what a gorgeous film.

More
10 Sep 2015 11:57 #210335 by Green Lantern
Replied by Green Lantern on topic Mad Max: Fury Road
This is easy for me. I loved the whole of Fury Road but my favorite scene that got me fired up during each viewing is a simple almost throw away spot. It's during the battle with the sand flea motorcyclists and Max has thrown his lot in with Furiosa. The fleas are swarming and Max was driving but he had to cover Furiosa so she takes the wheel from him. The rig is on fire and it seems desperate, but like a boss, Furiosa casually lowers the rig's cow scoop and uses the dust and sand to put out the flames. The music that swells when she does that gives me head-to-toe goose bumps. Also, what a way to show just how steady and strong Furiosa and Max were as a team despite only meeting a few hours earlier as enemies.

Here's the song and the spot that owns me starts at 3:02. Enjoy.

Brothers in Arms

More
10 Sep 2015 12:02 #210338 by Black Barney
GL, that's my favourite scene in the movie as well (war rig vs dirt bikes). Remember when she is skeet-shooting the cyclists?

I just can't think of a single scene in there with an awesome single visual that would stand out for a top pick tho. Well, except for the insane sand storm that they produce when they lower the cow scoop.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.562 seconds