October 09, 2023
2515 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2713 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Star Wars Gaming Megathread

More
01 Aug 2015 15:41 #207673 by Hex Sinister
This is my futile attempt to corral all the scattered Star Wars topics into one huge thread. Session reports, strategy, news, RPGs, OOP, whatever. If it gets too big we can split it. Trying to find old stuff is annoying so consider posting here or you might upset Chewie.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Aug 2015 16:13 #207675 by ChristopherMD
Thread? We should do a Star Wars forum.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister, Frohike

More
01 Aug 2015 16:47 #207677 by Michael Barnes
That would probably be a good idea what with Loopin' Chewie poised to dominate discussion for the next six to eight months.

More
01 Aug 2015 17:00 #207679 by Hex Sinister
So I watched the FFG In Flight Report last night but they already have the website updated this morning. Since the site is slammed I'll mention what's up.

No Armada news other than it seems to be selling pretty well. Return to Hoth campaign for Imperial Assault is in the works. Not really a surprise but I'm guessing IA fans will be excited for additional content. Plan on hearing about more releases come December - Christian sounded excited about Force Awakens lines of products.

X-Wing wave 8 looks pretty interesting. The Imperials are getting a new Epic sized Assault Carrier that can physically dock 4 TIEs on it's hull. I think it looks pretty cool and the toy factor of the docking is a nice bonus. Are you thinking like me and cursing yourself for buying way too many TIEs in the past? Oh well, these have the blue-grey paint scheme for variety. I'm actually pretty surprised by this announcement because I sort of felt like they were going to be done with Epic sized products after the Raider comes out. Naieve I suppose.

Zuckuss and 4-LOM get their own Scum blister pack which introduces a new tractor beam mechanic as well as an illicit cloaking device. The cloak works fine if you hammer the console a couple times. The ship looks pretty big (medium size) so my guess it will retail for $19.95.

The first of two large based ships is another Scum craft, Dengar's Jumpmaster 5000. I really like the look of this one. And apparently, this ship's maneuver dial is asymetrical. That could be a lot of fun. There are some tokens that look like hyperspace counters but I'm guessing those are only for a scenario.

I don't know jack about Star Wars Rebels but I'm guessing viewers will be familiar with the Ghost and Phantom from the series. The Ghost is huge- the peg stand isn't the regular fat ones it's an Epic sized peg. And the ship looks pretty amazing. The boxed set also comes with the small sized attack shuttle as a bonus. I don't think it has a physical docking capability but the mechanic is in place to do so.

The last one I'm not too certain about, the TIE Advanced Prototype. This is also from Rebels, I think. I dunno, it's cool I guess.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Green Lantern, scrumpyjack

More
01 Aug 2015 17:09 #207680 by Hex Sinister
Yes, let's not forget Loopin' Chewie!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Feelitmon

More
01 Aug 2015 17:26 #207683 by Michael Barnes
YES!!! Rebels!!! The Ghost is so freakin' cool...the Phantom actually docks on the Ghost, I wonder if they'll do something with that. I would imagine that with the two ships we'll get the full crew- Kanan, Hera, Zeb, Ezra, Sabine and Chopper. The TIE is the Inquisitor's personal ship.

I had fallen off the X-Wing purchase mill, I guess I'll have to mount up again.

Also- DENGAR! I hope they'll do some of the black X-wings from FA.

The Hoth thing I'll probably wind up with, grudgingly...but at least that's a game that gets played a lot in my circles. Looks like some cool pieces though.

I wish they would do a lighter IA style game more geared to younger players with the Rebels setting.

More
01 Aug 2015 17:29 - 01 Aug 2015 17:30 #207685 by Gary Sax
Ship design of the new wave is awesome, IMHO.
Last edit: 01 Aug 2015 17:30 by Gary Sax.

More
02 Aug 2015 04:03 #207714 by Hex Sinister

Michael Barnes wrote: YES!!! Rebels!!! The Ghost is so freakin' cool...the Phantom actually docks on the Ghost, I wonder if they'll do something with that.

I didn't see any mention of it which makes me think it doesn't attatch. Could be wrong though. But it can deploy the Phantom in a similar way as the Nashtah Pup from what I understand.

Also, I was mistaken about the Ghost's peg - it's some wierd hybrid with a Y shape. So the ship is pretty fat. It's looking like a $40-$50 release though. Ouch.

I finally got my Scum wave and have been playing that. Wow, I'm loving it so far. Fielding two IG-88 ships is outstanding. Can't wait to dig into it some more. I'm going to make up some scenario where they try to hijack a rebel transport. Such a dope game. I really love how the new faction fleshes it out.

More
02 Aug 2015 10:37 - 02 Aug 2015 10:43 #207727 by Disgustipater
I had decided to stop buying X-Wing stuff after Wave 7 because I have everything released so far and figured I didn't need any more. Wave 8 looks too cool for me to stop now. Several new mechanics are introduced, which look like fun. Plus there's that 3 SKU gap in the releases that was apparently said to be Episode VII stuff. While I don't give a shit about Episode VII or its inclusion in X-Wing, it means more new stuff to potentially get. Oh well for me.

The Ghost with Phantom is a $50 release. And the article does say it barely managed to fit into the game at the correct scale, so it's not surprising it has a more robust peg.

The big scum ship is $30, and the small Scum ship is $20 The TIE prototype is the only one at the standard price of $15. The ships are getting bigger and bigger it seems.
Last edit: 02 Aug 2015 10:43 by Disgustipater.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister

More
02 Aug 2015 14:46 #207745 by lj1983
Replied by lj1983 on topic Star Wars Gaming Megathread
getting bigger and bigger, but the ships are leaning more and more towards a single purchase rather than multiples of each ship.

TIE adv Proto sure feels like scraping bottom of the barrel, but Star Wars Rebels, I get that. I'm more excited about the three blank SKUs, gotta be Episode VII stuff. Sept 4th is the announcement day everyone is looking towards, right?

More
02 Aug 2015 15:04 #207748 by Hex Sinister
What's happening Sept. 4th?

More
02 Aug 2015 15:50 #207749 by Disgustipater
Episode VII merchandise/licenced stuff information embargo gets lifted.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Feelitmon

More
02 Aug 2015 16:11 #207751 by Michael Barnes
The TIE prototype is a must-have if you're a fan of the show. The big Sith baddie flies it, the Inquisitor. If you don't know the show/character, then it does seem more like an also ran.

I like more single purchase ships...pretty much everything I'm seeing now are one-per deals. I know folks like entire squadrons of IG-88s and Firesprays, but I like keeping those ships unique.

More
02 Aug 2015 16:20 #207753 by metalface13
Does anyone still enjoy the LCG?

More
02 Aug 2015 16:34 #207754 by Hex Sinister
I'm pretty much the same way. To me it's bizarre to have two Falcons. The only large ships I have two of are IG-88 and the shuttle. The latter was a fluke but two agressors is just right. No way would I get more. Last night my girlfriend chided me for only buying one Firespray though. I rolled my eyes at that.

I'm cutting down on small ships too unless they're low point value like the Syck then I'll still get three. But stuff like the extra tie bombers and defenders just collect dust. I would like to sell some off but I like the extra cards =/

Disgustipater wrote: Episode VII merchandise/licenced stuff information embargo gets lifted.

Oh shit, I didn't know that. I thought it was after the movie release. You guys are on the ball.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds