October 09, 2023
2551 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2747 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Painting Minis, Print & Play and Other Creative Type Stuff.

What Minis Are You Painting?

More
02 Nov 2016 09:14 #237343 by Disgustipater
Aside from cost, I like this method because you can cram a lot more minis into the same area, which cuts down on the overall size of your carrier.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Nov 2016 16:35 #237465 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic What Minis Are You Painting?
So, I did one good thing and one not so.

Starting with the good stuff. Following Barnes' advice, I bought the L-shaped Citadel basing brush. And it is awesome. So far, I used some cheap brushes, and one more expensive Kolinsky brush (and did not notice a lot of difference), but this was a game-changer. Besides, it is so much more relaxing to paint with an awesome brush than a shitty one. Got my Kairic Acolytes based in no time.

Bad thing. I glued sand to the bases. I know everyone has different experiences with the same thing, this reminded me of that one (very long ago, in a galaxy far away) attempt of sex on a beach. sorry, but that's the closest and most accurate comparison I can think of, and I won't go into further detail, besides that yes, the sand and glue obviously somehow found their way on my new expensive basing brush and I spent the rest of the evening cleaning that disaster.

More
04 Nov 2016 16:42 #237466 by barrowdown

Vlad wrote: So, I did one good thing and one not so.

Starting with the good stuff. Following Barnes' advice, I bought the L-shaped Citadel basing brush. And it is awesome. So far, I used some cheap brushes, and one more expensive Kolinsky brush (and did not notice a lot of difference), but this was a game-changer. Besides, it is so much more relaxing to paint with an awesome brush than a shitty one. Got my Kairic Acolytes based in no time.

Out of curiosity, what brand was your Kolinsky sable brush? Because I absolutely love my Raphael 8404's and the Winsor & Newton Series 7's I have used have also been great. They are so much better than my other detail brushes (which I still use for metallics and some other more damaging functions).

For base coating, those Citadel brushes are awesome. Great coverage and control pretty well.

B ad thing. I glued sand to the bases. I know everyone has different experiences with the same thing, this reminded me of that one (very long ago, in a galaxy far away) attempt of sex on a beach. sorry, but that's the closest and most accurate comparison I can think of, and I won't go into further detail, besides that yes, the sand and glue obviously somehow found their way on my new expensive basing brush and I spent the rest of the evening cleaning that disaster.

Oh yeah, for glue/basing always use the worst brush you have available because it will destroy it.

More
04 Nov 2016 16:50 #237467 by Vlad
Winsor and Newton Series 7, size 1. It IS better than the cheap brushes, no doubt, but not as different as this Citadel basing brush.

....Which I absolutely did not use for basing. But it was nearby. It was too close. There was sand and glue everywhere. And on the miniatures themselves. And it is all my fault, or rather the fault of me being so clumsy.

More
04 Nov 2016 16:59 #237469 by barrowdown
Were you using the W&N for base coating? If so, yeah, that would certainly be nowhere near as good as the synthetic basing brushes Citadel makes. I definitely think the Base and Dry brushes they make are probably the best widely available brush for their intended purpose.

It sounds like you didn't have a top coat of glue/sealer holding the grains down and the dampness of the paint pulled the sand off or reactivated the base glue. My (overly excessive) sand application method is:

1. PVA glue painted onto base
2. Dipped in sand/gravel
3. Let dry
4. Water-PVA glue mix quickly painted over sand (this mildly reactivates the base glue and kind of surrounds the sand with glue)
5. Let dry
6. Very watery mix of GW Liquid Green Stuff over sand
7. Let dry
8. Primer

The sand will probably not move after that unless it is really mishandled.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White, Vlad

More
04 Nov 2016 17:02 - 04 Nov 2016 17:07 #237470 by Mr. White
wow!

I do steps 1, 2, 3, then 8...I guess I assume later layers of paint and spray sealant will help.
Last edit: 04 Nov 2016 17:07 by Mr. White.

More
04 Nov 2016 17:31 #237471 by barrowdown

Mr. White wrote: wow!

I do steps 1, 2, 3, then 8...I guess I assume later layers of paint and spray sealant will help.

I'm sure that would be sufficient. I just hate when sand goes anywhere I did not mean it to, so I am making sure that it does not move at all.

More
04 Nov 2016 18:41 #237473 by Michael Barnes
Oh no! That's not a basing brush, when they say "base" they mean "basecoat"! Just go to Michaels or wherever and buy one of those cheap, sub $5 sets of brushes to do base work.

I almost bought the Citadel terrain spreader when I was at the GW store yesterday...but instead I went into the Starbucks next door and grabbed a handful of those green stirrers/lid plugs. They are perfect for using the texture paints, and they conveniently have a small end and a big end.

I built/painted the Ophidian Archway today. It is the worst quality product I have ever seen from GW. The thing just doesn't fit together, the casting is horrid and the build does not work. They stupidly made the corners multipart and they don't line up worth a shit. I wound up basically mortaring them together with liquid green stuff and there are still see through gaps. Painting went more smoothly- white prime, Seraphim Sepia, drybrush Terminatus stone, wash with Athonian Camoshade, drybrush white. Dragon/warrior relief was Balthasar Gold, Agrax Earthshade, drybrush Retributor Armor, drybrush Liberator Gold. Then I put some Nihilaxh Oxide on it for weathering to give it a greenish aging effect. Looks pretty good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: barrowdown, Vlad

More
04 Nov 2016 18:51 #237475 by Vlad

Michael Barnes wrote: Oh no! That's not a basing brush, when they say "base" they mean "basecoat"! Just go to Michaels or wherever and buy one of those cheap, sub $5 sets of brushes to do base work.

No, no, not to worry I said "basing" when I wanted to say "basecoating". As new to the miniatures and generally incompetent as I am, I also would never use a 10$ brush for basing.So I basecoated and later, as a result of an accident (read "my incompetence"), it got covered with sand and glue.
I've stolen some brushes from my son for basing, priming and paint mixing. They were in appropriately deplorable condition.

More
04 Nov 2016 18:53 #237476 by Vlad

barrowdown wrote: Were you using the W&N for base coating? If so, yeah, that would certainly be nowhere near as good as the synthetic basing brushes Citadel makes. I definitely think the Base and Dry brushes they make are probably the best widely available brush for their intended purpose.

It sounds like you didn't have a top coat of glue/sealer holding the grains down and the dampness of the paint pulled the sand off or reactivated the base glue. My (overly excessive) sand application method is:

1. PVA glue painted onto base
2. Dipped in sand/gravel
3. Let dry
4. Water-PVA glue mix quickly painted over sand (this mildly reactivates the base glue and kind of surrounds the sand with glue)
5. Let dry
6. Very watery mix of GW Liquid Green Stuff over sand
7. Let dry
8. Primer

The sand will probably not move after that unless it is really mishandled.

You are absolutely right, I skipped step 6. Thank you very much!!!

More
04 Nov 2016 21:17 #237479 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic What Minis Are You Painting?
I use Vallejo brush on primer and apply them directly after the sand. Always survive the drybrish.

BTW Michael, that piece of scenery probably suffera the same issue as the new bases as they are made in China. The bases have very shallow and blunt details. And this also affect the scatter decorative pieces.

More
04 Nov 2016 21:41 #237480 by barrowdown

Sevej wrote: I use Vallejo brush on primer and apply them directly after the sand. Always survive the drybrish.

BTW Michael, that piece of scenery probably suffera the same issue as the new bases as they are made in China. The bases have very shallow and blunt details. And this also affect the scatter decorative pieces.

I was hoping to use the scatter to base a knight, but I've heard nothing good about those kits (except as speed basing for a new army). Any ideas on what to do for the vast empty expanse of an IK base? Anyone have experience with Secret Weapon's resin bases?

More
04 Nov 2016 21:59 - 04 Nov 2016 21:59 #237481 by Mr. White
those of you storing minis with hobby store foam...what are you cutting it with? small, sharp scissors?

I checked out hobby lobby today...only green foam is that rough stuff for fake plants. they had 2" foam squares in bags...look like what you might use for chair cushions. I think this is what y'all are using. only in white though.
Last edit: 04 Nov 2016 21:59 by Mr. White.

More
05 Nov 2016 01:09 #237483 by Disgustipater

Mr. White wrote: those of you storing minis with hobby store foam...what are you cutting it with? small, sharp scissors?

I use an Xacto knife to cut straight down in a sawing motion, then pull up on the 'plug' of foam and slice it out (horizontally).

I checked out hobby lobby today...only green foam is that rough stuff for fake plants. they had 2" foam squares in bags...look like what you might use for chair cushions. I think this is what y'all are using. only in white though.

Jo-Ann carries sheets of the stuff. I've seen green and white.

www.joann.com/heavy-duty-foam-slab-2in-x...x-90in/11178100.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
05 Nov 2016 08:09 - 05 Nov 2016 08:10 #237485 by Mr. White
$40-80?

That's not much better than battlefoam.

This is what I'm seeing at hobby lobby.
www.hobbylobby.com/Fabric-Sewing/Batting...-Chair-Pad/p/BT20120
Last edit: 05 Nov 2016 08:10 by Mr. White.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.592 seconds