October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2719 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Painting Minis, Print & Play and Other Creative Type Stuff.

What Minis Are You Painting?

More
27 Mar 2017 23:22 #245680 by hotseatgames
Atorg Bloodbringer, from Gorechosen. I'm pretty happy with my results on this one.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Columbob, Brewmiester, Colorcrayons, Sevej, Hadik, barrowdown, Vlad

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Mar 2017 22:07 #245730 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic What Minis Are You Painting?
Done with the first batch of orks.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Brewmiester, hotseatgames, barrowdown, Vlad

More
28 Mar 2017 22:33 #245731 by hotseatgames
Nice teeth! I'm usually not steady enough to paint teeth.

More
02 Apr 2017 23:29 #245884 by Sevej
It's more like pin pricking the mini using brush.

Kill-team ready!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Brewmiester, barrowdown

More
04 Apr 2017 10:21 #245938 by barrowdown
I'm getting the Blood Bowl base game teams ready to paint. I'm also building up the Ogre and Troll. These minis have a very large amount of pieces (the troll has 19!) and have poorer quality instructions/diagrams compared to most GW figures.

I knocked over my jar of plastic cement onto my Ogre while it was drying. I don't think I did too much damage to the mini, but I might have washed out some of the teeth detail. The rest of it looks fairly clean even though it panicked me for a bit.

More
04 Apr 2017 10:50 #245939 by Michael Barnes
Ha ha, spills...I have spilt no less than 3 bottles of Nuln Oil, one bottle of Reikland Fleshshade Gloss, and one bottle of Agrax Earthshade. Have done the glue yet!

I started painting Tau Pathfinders...I used some extra pieces to experiment since I want to do that white color scheme. I tried different primers and approaches to doing the white, including the Celestra Gray/Ulthuan Gray/White Scar you see a lot. But you know what worked the best?

Ceramite White.

I thinned it down a bit and did multiple layers, but DAMN this stuff COVERS. I was kind of shocked, it's like kids poster paint or something.

So I am priming white, pre-washing Nuln Oil, and then layering on the Ceramite white followed by touch ups around the grooves. The official GW guide in the box calls for Afrax shade which looks weird to me and finished with a layer of Gorthor Brown...somewhere,
I can't see where they are doing that.

More
04 Apr 2017 10:59 - 04 Apr 2017 11:00 #245942 by barrowdown
They are using the Gorthor Brown as damage/chipping. I have the full painting guide (Armies of Expansion) if you want the entire scheme.

Awesome that you are getting good results with Ceramite White, because that has never worked for me. Other than as a wash or light area highlight when heavily thinned.
Last edit: 04 Apr 2017 11:00 by barrowdown.

More
05 Apr 2017 11:55 #246003 by Michael Barnes
How are they doing that? Stippling along the armor seams? I can barely see it now on the box pictures.

I did a little more Tau work, I think I do actually like pin-shading with Agrax...the Nuln Oil made it look too cold, if that makes any sense...very unnatural with it being harsh white and black. You'd think that would look cool, but it just kind of doesn't. The Agrax warms it up a little.

I can't decide if they are hard to paint or easy. It only took about 30 minutes to get one Pathfinder looking table-ready. There is still some work to do on it, lots of cleanup, but getting it to that stage was pretty simple. There's not a lot of colors on them- the white, Eshin Gray/Dawnstone/Administratum on their MC Hammer pants, a little Fang/Russ Grey on their cute little elephant feet, spot of red and spot of Retributor Armor on the gun. I really like a couple of things about these models. One, NO FUCKING BELTS OR STRAPS. Halla-fuckin'-looyah. Two, there is no metal, which is a nice change of pace. And three, all of the detail is very clear- none of the usual "I'm not really sure if this is a bull scrotum, a pouch, or a grenade". It's also just such a different painting process and I'm enjoying the change.

More
05 Apr 2017 12:06 #246005 by barrowdown
They are using a sponge or stippling for the larger blotches and fine brushwork for the small scratches. It's an extremely subtle effect. I think in the painting notes in the guide they explained that it made the white look more realistic than an ultra-clean look.

I've never painted Tau, but the basic idea of them looks straightforward as you describe. A local guy has a very clean looking force that he used a Micron pen to blackline the plating, which made them "pop" from a distance.

More
05 Apr 2017 20:25 - 05 Apr 2017 20:32 #246032 by Sevej
Sponge stippling is awesome. Everyone's got to try it.

White is a tricky color because it's so translucent. The multiple layer does work, as long as you let it dry properly. Often times people don't wait, so the next layer messes up the first one. Worse, if due to impatience, a painter uses a thick paint, which takes considerably longer to dry, and gave no drying time... it'll never work (and lumpy). Especially when the surface is larger than the thumbnail of my pinky.
Last edit: 05 Apr 2017 20:32 by Sevej.

More
07 Apr 2017 00:31 #246102 by blatz
Replied by blatz on topic What Minis Are You Painting?
Still working on my Batman minis. Commissioner Gordon and the SWAT team are ready to beg for Batman's help.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brewmiester, hotseatgames, Colorcrayons, Sevej, barrowdown, Vlad

More
09 Apr 2017 08:24 - 09 Apr 2017 08:27 #246217 by Sevej

Hailstorm Squad, done!
Last edit: 09 Apr 2017 08:27 by Sevej.
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, Brewmiester, hotseatgames, barrowdown, Vlad

More
09 Apr 2017 13:29 #246230 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic What Minis Are You Painting?
I finished with the skaven army this week, and started working on the imperial guard squad this week-end.
I'm amazed at how much I've learnt from doing the skaven (and how easy it was to organize a work on 8-10 models after building a 50+ models army).
So I've decided to give a lot more attention to detail than usual, which basically implies working on faces. So far, I've done about 5 heads and having a blast with it, maybe because it is so different from rats.
I have the cadian shock troopers kit and a command squad kit; the latter is a very good complement to the former in terms of body parts and equipment.

More
09 Apr 2017 16:42 #246237 by Michael Barnes
My white Tau look terrible...I thought they wouldn't be hard based on a test model...but yeah, doing that white scheme is tough. The body armor and helmet are easy. It's the fucking guns and antenna that are the problem. Lots of super shallow grooves. I did find out that Agrax sort of gives a similar look to that Gorthor stippling...I just can't get a smooth look overall. The white is fine, it's just the edges are crap. And they look overpainted, which I hate!

I think the problem is the white spray primer. Every time I use it I think never again but I try it again and get a bad finish.

I may just scrap them and try another set n the classic tan colors. White is just MERCILESS.

More
09 Apr 2017 17:12 #246242 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, I'm rebooting on Tau. Selling the half-painted white team, $23 shipped. Details in the SWA thread.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.305 seconds