October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2719 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
17 Aug 2016 09:33 #232244 by JEM
Hey, at $450 you get dice!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Aug 2016 09:42 #232245 by Space Ghost

Mr. White wrote: What was crazy about it? How exactly is Cthulhu Wars more 'fun' than Risk? I get it's a Cadillac game and maybe more nuanced, but fun is so subjective there's nothing crazy about what I said.

Fun can be had with any number of the gazillion available games out there....they aren't missing anything.

Don't even try to push the idea that someone not buying a high dollar Peterson game is missing out or having less fun.

Likewise, you can't say people playing Risk our having more fun. As you say, too subjective.

But, you kind of started it by pooh-pooing the whole idea of someone actually buying this. Disposable income is disposable income...what's it matter?
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat, charlest

More
17 Aug 2016 09:47 #232247 by Ken B.

Michael Barnes wrote: That looks awesome but if I'm going to spend that kind of money, why wouldn't I just get more of Cthulhu Wars instead?

That's what I'm struggling with. This game would compete directly with Cthulhu Wars for table time, and CW has rocketed up the chart to become one of my all-time favorite games. The temptation for me is to pass on Gods War and pick up a few more items from CW Onslaught Two. I only have a few more days to make up my mind on that, because Pledge Manager for CW Onslaught Two closes this Monday.

More
17 Aug 2016 09:55 - 17 Aug 2016 10:08 #232249 by Mr. White

Space Ghost wrote:

Mr. White wrote: What was crazy about it? How exactly is Cthulhu Wars more 'fun' than Risk? I get it's a Cadillac game and maybe more nuanced, but fun is so subjective there's nothing crazy about what I said.

Fun can be had with any number of the gazillion available games out there....they aren't missing anything.

Don't even try to push the idea that someone not buying a high dollar Peterson game is missing out or having less fun.

Likewise, you can't say people playing Risk our having more fun. As you say, too subjective.

But, you kind of started it by pooh-pooing the whole idea of someone actually buying this. Disposable income is disposable income...what's it matter?

Nothing is wrong with buying it. I was attempting to assure the poster disappointed they couldn't buy it.

Nor have I said Risk is more fun. Some did say CW is more fun though and that's fine, but that's a stance that needs to be supported.

Let me put it this way. I can buy a $1 hot wheel to convert and paint. I can also buy a $30 gw model. Both are fun, and if I opt to buy the latter that's cool.

But at no point would I float the idea that there's only fun to be had working with the gw model and if you don't have a gw model you're missing out.
Last edit: 17 Aug 2016 10:08 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete, JEM

More
17 Aug 2016 10:03 - 17 Aug 2016 10:04 #232251 by Ken B.

Mr. White wrote: Nothing is wrong with buying it. I was attempting to assure the poster disappointed they couldn't buy it.

Nor have I said Risk is more fun. Some did say CW is more fun though and that's fine, but that's a stance that needs to be supported.

Let me put it this way. I can buy a $1 hot wheel to convert and paint. I can also buy a $30 gw model. Both are fun, and if I opt to buy the latter that's cool.

But at no point would I float the idea that there's only fun to be had working with the gw model.

My opinion is that while fun is subjective, there are broad lines where fuzzy boundaries of objectivity can be drawn. Sort of, in chalk. But still drawn.

Lots of people enjoy and play LCR. Several do so for money, of all things. But LCR is no game, it's a random event generator that you play until someone is broke or just tired of it. It is literally poor game design. You can say that objectively. Is it fun for some people? Yeah, sure. But so are modern day Adam Sandler films.

I think you can objectively say that most modern hobby games are better than vanilla Risk. Risk was a trendsetter, THE original Dudes on a Map game. But it has its problems that even its direct progeny have improved upon. This is something that can be said objectively. Cthulhu Wars has some of Risk's DNA in its genetics. But it is objectively a better design than plain ol' Risk.

Of course, there are elements to subjective definitions of fun. For example, the new Warhammer Quest looks amazing. For some people, they look inside the box with its fragmented, need-to-be-constructed-and-painted miniatures and their eyes light up....not only do they get a cool game, but they get the joy of putting that sucker together and painting to their heart's content. I look inside that box and am terrified of all the little pieces, my inability to paint, and sadly have to pass by what is probably a fucking smashing good time. This is but one such element that contributes to subjective definitions of fun.

But even so, you can make a fairly objective statement that Warhammer Quest is a better game than AEG's old Tomb, as one example.
Last edit: 17 Aug 2016 10:04 by Ken B..
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, SebastianBludd

More
17 Aug 2016 10:09 #232253 by stoic
On a serious note, I've always admired the world of Glorantha because it projects Joseph Campbell's worldview on mythology and comparative religion. A game in that mythos is too cool. But, more importantly, the Gloranthan Mythos includes a faction of man-like Ducks called the Durulz? The Gods of War board game includes those man-ducks! I've always wanted a game that might fill the chasm in my soul left after watching the Howard the Duck movie. This game will certainly satisfy the obscure duck-man category in gaming--like no other game can; that is, until GaleForce9 purchases the dormant Howard the Duck movie IP license and reimplements the latest fashionable game mechanics into a Howard the Duck board game.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
17 Aug 2016 10:25 #232254 by charlest

Mr. White wrote: Let me put it this way. I can buy a $1 hot wheel to convert and paint. I can also buy a $30 gw model. Both are fun, and if I opt to buy the latter that's cool.

It certainly is. I didn't realize you were attempting to support the previous poster who said they couldn't afford it, my perception was you crapping on people who were interested in it. I was wrong, my bad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ken B.

More
17 Aug 2016 10:38 #232255 by Space Ghost

charlest wrote:

Mr. White wrote: Let me put it this way. I can buy a $1 hot wheel to convert and paint. I can also buy a $30 gw model. Both are fun, and if I opt to buy the latter that's cool.

It certainly is. I didn't realize you were attempting to support the previous poster who said they couldn't afford it, my perception was you crapping on people who were interested in it. I was wrong, my bad.

Likewise, sorry.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ken B.

More
17 Aug 2016 11:08 - 17 Aug 2016 11:15 #232256 by SuperflyPete

The argument can be made that you can have the same fun playing Catan or Stone Age forever, and never buy anything else because it's not really any more fun. I can't see spending 200$ on a game, ever, for any reason. I don't care how "good" it is. That's a fucking car in these parts. Or a rifle. Or 10 blowjobs. I mean, there's games out there that will never get played ten times, and honestly, I can't see anyone saying "No, I'd rather keep playing X" if they're asked if they want a blowjob. :)

Cthulhu Wars is better than Risk in a huge variety of ways; I'd never play Risk again, but I'd play Cthulhu Wars at the drop of a hat, and I bring my own damned hat. That said, it's wildly overpriced. You're paying for the big, pretty box, the big, pretty pictures, and the big, pretty miniatures. If you buy the game, you're probably a sucker, but then again, an Epiphone Les Paul Special II sounds the same through a pedal effect as a real Les Paul, but people still buy that real Les Paul because it makes them feel good. My buddy Lee is a great pool shot and he uses a 30$ mop handle of a cue, whereas I'm a much worse shot with a 200$ Lucasi cue. It's about wanting something pretty and feeling good, at the end of the day

Let's be real - we buy all TGOO because they make us feel good. There's no difference between playing Risk or Scythe or Cthulhu Wars when it comes to fun (assuming you like Risk)....they're all just vehicles to sit around playing games, drinking beer, smoking dope, or whatever floats your boat. Paying what we pay for this shit is ridiculous.

Fun Lawyer :P wrote: Lots of people enjoy and play LCR. Several do so for money, of all things. But LCR is no game, it's a random event generator that you play until someone is broke or just tired of it. It is literally poor game design. You can say that objectively. Is it fun for some people?

I play LCR for money at my neighbor's house. She can't be bothered to play anything but that, Screw Your Neighbor, Euchre, Wii Bowling, In Between and Pool (when she's drunk enough to try me). Always for money. Always shithouse rat, crazy drunk. It's like all of these games - it's an activity. Something to do to kill time between birth and death.
Last edit: 17 Aug 2016 11:15 by SuperflyPete.

More
17 Aug 2016 11:29 - 17 Aug 2016 11:29 #232259 by hotseatgames

SuperflyTNT wrote: honestly, I can't see anyone saying "No, I'd rather keep playing X" if they're asked if they want a blowjob. :)

I appreciate the offer, Pete. I really do. But I'd rather play Agricola.
Last edit: 17 Aug 2016 11:29 by hotseatgames.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
17 Aug 2016 11:31 #232261 by metalface13
I've never heard of this Glorantha universe. 50 years old they say?

More
17 Aug 2016 11:37 #232264 by charlest

metalface13 wrote: I've never heard of this Glorantha universe. 50 years old they say?

It's the setting for the very old RPG Heroquest (unrelated to the board game).
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13

More
17 Aug 2016 11:55 - 17 Aug 2016 11:58 #232265 by Space Ghost
I think it was first used in Dragon Pass by Chaosium and Avalon Hill (which was a reprint of something else, but I forgot what).

Also used extensively in Runequest -- which has a great gladiatorial arena battle ruleset, for what its worth.

EDIT: It was a reprint of White Bear Red Moon, first published in 1975

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Bear_and_Red_Moon
Last edit: 17 Aug 2016 11:58 by Space Ghost.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, charlest

More
17 Aug 2016 15:31 #232280 by Columbob
Mongoose published the RPG about 10 years ago.

More
21 Aug 2016 11:15 #232538 by Msample
I backed the High Frontier Kickstarter and the last few updates ( keep in mind it funded over a year ago ) are starting to give me Up Front flashbacks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEM

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.496 seconds