October 09, 2023
2614 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2810 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
01 Nov 2016 17:23 #237309 by iguanaDitty

Vlad wrote:
Yes, my computer had no issues with GTA Vice City, but Arcanum brought everything to stutter with opening of a door.
But was Fallout2 better? I don't know. It was also a Frankenstein-monster-mess of a game. I think the original Fallout is still a masterpiece, as well as Planescape Torment.

I came to Fallout 2 after its initial horrific bugs had mostly been patched, but yeah on release it was just as much a cluster. Arcanum's bugs never really got ironed out though. For whatever reason I preferred Fallout 2's sprawl to Fallout's more focused play.

I loved loved PS:T, I thought that was a different group of devs though.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Nov 2016 18:47 #237315 by Vlad
I believe Chris Avellone was the leading designer in Torment and Tim Cain in Fallout. But both of them worked together before and after that (and still do), and their teams were full of talented and enthusiastic people. I think of it in terms of school of game design - Fallout 1&2, PS:Torment, Baldur's Gate, Arcanum had a lot of similar ideas and I think a lot of the same people had worked on them.

And it's basically the same people behind Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity and the upcoming Planescape: Numenera. None of which I have played, sadly, for I don't have as much time now as in the 90ies.

More
02 Nov 2016 08:46 #237334 by stoic
The Xbox One is new to our home. We own Blood Bowl 2, Mordheim: City of the Damned, and Gears of War: Ultimate Edition (the old one). I need some recommendations on what to get in the future since we haven't had a new console since the Wii. We do have a Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, and an original Xbox. ;-)

So far, I've enjoyed playing Blood Bowl 2 since it's teaching me how to play Blood Bowl. It's a great improvement over playing Blood Bowl on IOS. I've only gone through the campaign mode in BB2. I want to join a league for BB2, but, I have no idea how or which one to join. I'll probably get trounced, but, who cares! This game is so much fun. There's a learning curve, but, I'm impressed with the overall BB design--I can't believe how much they've done with a D6.

Regarding Mordheim, I love the idea of this game, but, this video game is unplayable for serious play at the moment since the entire HUD isn't displayed on the screen in the Xbox One version. I can't see the entire text on the left side and top of the screen. WTF? I can't see my warband's morale. Until they fix it, I'm pissed. I'm not sure why they wouldn't have caught simple errors like this before releasing it. It feels like a beta and I've joined the test group. Since they need to fix it, I want the option in the settings to clearly see my dice rolls to give it that table top feel--the scrolling list available is too small and it needs larger dice icons. I also want the option to disable the constant confirmation of every single action in the game. They have tutorials, but, they're oblique and unclear. Finally, there's no viable general overview on how to play this game if you're a new player--I had to reread the table-top rules for Mordheim to figure it all out again. The tutorials provided are unclear. I hope that they fix this stuff because this game has a lot of promise since it's so much fun to build-up your warband and select warband factions.

More
02 Nov 2016 08:54 - 02 Nov 2016 08:58 #237336 by Gary Sax
I just fucking love titanfall, even multiplayer. It's so good, it handles perfectly. Traversal and sense of superhero empowerment is awesome. The game always strikes a pitch perfect balance of how often you get killed---i find games like battlefield have me being killed over and over again in a very unsatisfying way.

Also, hot tip:. GET TO SOMEONE IN A TITAN AND SUPPORT THEM IF YOU DON'T HAVE ONE. The brilliance of this game is that that holds even if you aren't on some micced up super team. It is always in your best interest to get near a Titan on your own team, put stolen batteries in them, shoot pilots off their back, etc. Gets YOU a Titan faster, if that's your only concern. Especially battery loading.

Haven't played a better FPS in many, many years. Especially multiplayer. Don't sleep on Last Titan Standing mode, too, if you want a great, tense mode where dying matters. Even randos will start coordinating in this mode.
Last edit: 02 Nov 2016 08:58 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
02 Nov 2016 08:58 #237337 by hotseatgames

stoic wrote: The Xbox One is new to our home. I need some recommendations on what to get in the future since we haven't had a new console since the Wii.

The most fun I've had with my xbox one was Metal Gear Solid V. There's a lot of game on that disc. You might also consider Diablo 3.

More
02 Nov 2016 08:59 #237338 by JEM

stoic wrote: Regarding Mordheim, I love the idea of this game, but, this video game is unplayable for serious play at the moment since the entire HUD isn't displayed on the screen in the Xbox One version. I can't see the entire text on the left side and top of the screen. WTF? I can't see my warband's morale. Until they fix it, I'm pissed.

I have to ask- is your TV set correctly for "full pixel" display?

More
02 Nov 2016 09:13 - 02 Nov 2016 10:48 #237342 by Michael Barnes
I tried to get a refund on Mordheim. Avoid it.

Yeah, Titanfall 2 is super duper. It is the rare FPS that feels up there with Halo and the best of the best...it's as slick and polished as a Call of Duty game, but the one weird trick is that they borrowed elements from various "alternative" shooters that were popular during the CoD era to innovate. There clearly a lot of Mirror's Edge in it, for example. Going further back, a little Shogo.

I'm just playing th campaign right now but it's actually great so far. The tutorial is actually a speed run level not unlike the Mirror's Edge time trials. You play it while the game installs. I kept at it for about 20 minutes beyond that because it was really fun.

It's almost as much a platformer as a FPS.

Oh, mechs. They're good! Cool weapons, a sense of being in a walking tank, it has a personality...good stuff.

I Gameflyed it, but I'm going to convert it to a buy.
Last edit: 02 Nov 2016 10:48 by Michael Barnes.

More
02 Nov 2016 15:34 #237368 by Black Barney
STOIC! Congrats on getting an Xbox One! I really like mine and I'm happy to help.

First of all, get Xbox Gold. It's $40-$60 per year and will get you 3-4 free games per month that you can keep forever. It's totally worth it just for this but it also allows you to play multiplayer for all your other games.

Free games worth getting (these games are always free)
Magic Duels (incredible)
Battle Islands
Battle Ages

Full price games worth buying (these games frequently go on special for Xbox Gold members too so you can wait for a special if you want).
1. Grand Theft Auto V - i really hope I get this for xmas. I loved it on Xbox 360 and it's supposed to be an even far better experience using the xbox one engine. Way more ground and air traffic. first time ever having first-person view if you want, more sealife. It is the best game on Xbox One by far.

That is a league above the rest. Other great titles include:
The Witcher 3 with DLC, The Swapper (I enjoyed this beautiful puzzler), Inside (GORGEOUS puzzler), Forza Horizon 3 (probably the best racer and it's stunning to look at), Rayman Legends (good lite fun), Overwatch (this is my FPS of choice. AMAZING when played with a team. I still play it)

More
02 Nov 2016 16:50 #237372 by Space Ghost
Can I still play Pinball on Xbox One?

More
02 Nov 2016 16:55 #237375 by Black Barney
yes 100%, there is more than one variety. And I think you can play it for free if you own it from xbox360

More
02 Nov 2016 17:12 - 02 Nov 2016 17:13 #237378 by Disgustipater

Black Barney wrote: First of all, get Xbox Gold. It's $40-$60 per year and will get you 3-4 free games per month that you can keep forever*.

*Gold account required to play them.
Last edit: 02 Nov 2016 17:13 by Disgustipater.

More
02 Nov 2016 17:16 #237379 by Black Barney
WHAT?! That's a change in policy then. That used to not be like that.

there's a bunch of easy scams too that you can take advantage of. Because family accounts share ONE gold account now, if you have a friend that you trust completely, you can both install your gamertags on each other's Xbox Ones. Then when that person buys or installs a game, you can install it on BOTH Xboxes for free. It's great. I split the cost of Overwatch with a good friend and we both play using one installed copy. There's a bunch of games he bought (like Halo V) that I didn't want but i can play for free cuz he installed it on his Xbox.

anyway requiring a gold account to play those installed games isn't the end of the world. You will probably have a gold account for as long as you're playing games anyway

More
02 Nov 2016 20:14 #237388 by wadenels
I had a PS+ membership for my Vita. I cancelled but I can still play the games I have installed. Looks like I don't have access to them anymore if I uninstall them without signing up again though.

More
02 Nov 2016 23:45 #237390 by jeb
It's always been like this. Unless you have paid money at some point for the game, it lapses with your PS+ membership. I got SPELUNKY from PS+, but actually paid a $1 for it during some sale months later, so it will "stick." They don't revoke games you have installed though.

More
03 Nov 2016 01:11 #237394 by lj1983
Xbox live gold subs can be found for $30-35 pretty regularly. I think mine anniversary date is coming up so I'll keep an eye out.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.505 seconds