October 09, 2023
2515 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2716 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Star Wars Risk

More
08 Sep 2015 16:10 #210185 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Star Wars Risk
If you ever need anything you can't get, I'm always happy to do that and send them to you via the US version of Royal Mail, you know, the one that doesn't cost 10,000,00000,,000000 quid

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Sep 2015 16:22 #210187 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Star Wars Risk

SuperflyTNT wrote: If you ever need anything you can't get, I'm always happy to do that and send them to you via the US version of Royal Mail, you know, the one that doesn't cost 10,000,00000,,000000 quid

But that would just deny you a trip to the western isles of Europe ;-)

And just to make all the new Risk owners feel good I had a terrible experience with Queen's Gambit in the weekend, took far too long and we were both wanting it to end - I got all the cards but rolled dice abysmally while my mate didn't get the cards he was after but slaughtered with the dice, first game of it I haven't really enjoyed even though I ended up winning (Anakin finally got through the starfields, but I had gone right through plus a couple of hands of the battlefield deck).

More
08 Sep 2015 16:25 #210188 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Star Wars Risk
Queen's Gambit is definitely too long. I still think it's great though.

More
08 Sep 2015 16:55 #210189 by SuperflyPete
I like its length because it truly feels epic. The tides can turn so many times, and the level of tension that brings is palpable (Palpatine?). I love that long-term planning really matters, but it call get completely fucked up if you're having bad luck. Just like a real battle, but different.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
08 Sep 2015 19:01 #210194 by drewcula
Replied by drewcula on topic Star Wars Risk
I swung by TRU this afternoon for a pick up. I came home with two items.

1) A Reaction figure of Jack Burton. My wife bought me the Chinatown wife beater he wears in the film. She promises me that I may have it IF I put 1" of muscle onto my arms. I feel that is an appropriate amount of incentive for me to hit the weights because my arms are skinny as fuck and that shirt is awesome. The action figure is going into my office to remind me about goals in life. But not the goal of being a forty year old with action figures in his office because that's pathetic. I got it for $7.

2) Star Wars Risk. I bought Star Wars Risk: The Original Trilogy many Endor moons ago, and it is the end all be all for 3 player games of Risk. I will beat anyone within an inch of their midichlorian count if they argue otherwise. I suspect this newly envisioned title will be a nice 2 player option. I got it for $24 (20% SW games until 9/11 or 9/12, I forget).

Still, I read some chatter on BGG about the Amazon Black version. In addition to the Death Star, Falcon, and Destroyer minis - there may be some actual storm trooper models. Toss in a Vader and Luke model, and I'm sold on Black. I'll be keeping my TRU copy in shrink until I know more about this virtual urban gaming myth that only exists at Expos...

And while I'm talking about Risk, did anyone ever play Star Wars Risk: The Clone Wars? I'm a little surprised I never picked it up.

More
08 Sep 2015 19:39 #210197 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Star Wars Risk

drewcula wrote:
And while I'm talking about Risk, did anyone ever play Star Wars Risk: The Clone Wars? I'm a little surprised I never picked it up.

Like ORIGINAL trilogy is awesome with three or five players, CLONE WARS RISK is as good with two or four. Ain't even lying, it's fucking great. One side is the Republic, one side is the ..what the fuck were they? Separatists? Anyway, those guys. The players are asymmetric, withe Republic ahead in the beginning of the game, but the other side can opt for Order 66 at some point to win some easy victories and turn the tide, at the price of exposing the Emperor, who becomes an automatic game loss if he's conquered.
The following user(s) said Thank You: drewcula

More
09 Sep 2015 08:53 #210215 by SuperflyPete
I'll tell you what bugs me: With all these games being so vastly different, they really need to start coming up with different names. When many people hear RISK, they think "dodgy, old school wargame that takes forever". They really need to start branching out. This thing could've been Star Wars Tactics: The Battle For Endor or something.

More
09 Sep 2015 19:57 #210269 by drewcula

SuperflyTNT wrote: I'll tell you what bugs me: With all these games being so vastly different, they really need to start coming up with different names. When many people hear RISK, they think "dodgy, old school wargame that takes forever". They really need to start branching out. This thing could've been Star Wars Tactics: The Battle For Endor or something.

On one hand, I hear ya. On the other hand, I feel if the basic confrontational mechanic is the same - the hell with it. Call it Risk. It's all DOAM.

My little pile of Risk games thus far: Star Wars OT, Star Wars CW (just bought it!), Star Wars 2015, LotR Trilogy, 2210, Legacy, Revised Onyx, Revised, Original, a DC map laser cut on wood, and Balance of Power. The ONE Risk game I actually have difficulty with in its naming is Battlefield Rogue.

More
09 Sep 2015 20:22 #210270 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Star Wars Risk
Risk is a well loved game that still sells exceptionally well. They put Risk in the name to increase sales. It's a great choice from a sales perspective.

Frankly, I think Hasbro my prefer their customers being a little confused about what is what.

More
09 Sep 2015 20:32 - 09 Sep 2015 20:38 #210271 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Star Wars Risk
People will see the name RISK on the box and buy it thinking its another Risk variant, but really...

Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 09 Sep 2015 20:38 by ChristopherMD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ska_baron, jpat, Mr. White, Josh Look, Frohike, drewcula, engineer Al, stoic

More
10 Sep 2015 00:39 - 10 Sep 2015 00:40 #210276 by KingPut
Replied by KingPut on topic Star Wars Risk
Me and JGriff played 2'games of SW Risk, Looping Chewie and Epic Duels tonight. SW Risk was a lot of fun. It scratches the Queens Gambit itch for 1/3 the cost and 1/2 the time. It doesn't have the cool toy factor of Queens Gambit but it's still a lot of fun.
Last edit: 10 Sep 2015 00:40 by KingPut.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jgriff

More
10 Sep 2015 07:56 #210284 by jgriff
Replied by jgriff on topic Star Wars Risk

KingPut wrote: Me and JGriff played 2'games of SW Risk, Looping Chewie and Epic Duels tonight. SW Risk was a lot of fun. It scratches the Queens Gambit itch for 1/3 the cost and 1/2 the time. It doesn't have the cool toy factor of Queens Gambit but it's still a lot of fun.

It's closer to 1/9 or 1/10 of the price. QG is usually at least $200 right now. I still haven't played QG but they played right next to us last night and it looks like two different games with the same engine. They scratch different itches. The new Risk is a keeper. Is it destined to be Top 10 of all time? Probably not. Will I get 20 plays or so in this year, especially with my son? Probably.

Is it worth $24-$30? Absolutely. Do you need to pimp out some of the crappy components? Yes. The Star Destroyer & Stormtroopers are a disgrace. But they can't stop freakin' Han Solo anyhow KingPut!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
15 Sep 2015 23:54 #210728 by drewcula
Hasbro's specs on the Black Edition [bold letters are mine]:

www.hasbro.com/en-us/product/star-wars-t...47-F56C-294DB765F578

"The final moments of Star Wars: Return of the Jedi can come to life for you and your friends in this awesome Star Wars version of the classic Risk game! Your mission? If you play as the Empire, it’s to destroy the Rebel fleet. But if you play as the Rebel Alliance, it’s to destroy the Death Star! But the battle between Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader could tilt the game one way or the other. Plan your assault, give your battle orders, and earn bonus orders by clearing sectors or by destroying either Luke Skywalker or Darth Vader. Send your fighters in to destroy or defend the Death Star, or to attack or defend the Rebel fleet! Who will be victorious in the end? Play Risk the Star Wars way and find out!
Star Wars products are produced by Hasbro under license from Lucasfilm Ltd. Hasbro and all related terms are trademarks of Hasbro.
•Includes 3 gameboard pieces, 20 X-wings, 16 Y-wings, 56 TIE fighters, 6 Rebel fleet markers, Millennium Falcon ship with stand, Executor with stand, Death Star with stand, 4 hit tokens, 9 Stormtrooper figures, Rebel Strike Team token, 30 Empire order cards, 30 Rebel order cards, and 5 translucent dice.
•Star Wars version of the classic Risk game lets players conquer the Death Star or the Rebel fleet
•Includes X-wing, Y-wing, and TIE fighters for attacks
•Order cards let players attack and defend
•Tilt the game one way or the other by destroying Luke Skywalker or Darth Vader"
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy, Egg Shen, scrumpyjack

More
16 Sep 2015 08:43 #210738 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic Star Wars Risk
Sounds cool and all, but I'm still sticking to my opinion that it's unnecessary.

I've played mine at least 6 times now and my enjoyment has only increased. I think I do prefer it over QG. You'd think that one fewer battle would detract but it really does make for a much tighter game with fewer obvious decisions. It has a certain "quick and dirty" charm to it. Turns are lightning fast and you'll likely want to play it 3 times in a row once you take it out. I honestly think the Black edition will detract from that.

I do think the game favors the Rebels slightly. The rules are a bit vague in a few areas, usually to the Empire's detriment. It doesn't clearly say it, but I think the Imps should be getting a bonus card on a Death Star attack. Should help slightly without breaking anything and it should further incentify using the Death Star. I've seen people give up on it after a few bad rolls and it can seem like it's more likely to be a waste of valuable time than it is to do its job.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
16 Sep 2015 09:07 #210741 by SuperflyPete

Josh Look wrote: Sounds cool and all, but I'm still sticking to my opinion that it's unnecessary.

I've played mine at least 6 times now and my enjoyment has only increased. I think I do prefer it over QG. You'd think that one fewer battle would detract but it really does make for a much tighter game with fewer obvious decisions. It has a certain "quick and dirty" charm to it. Turns are lightning fast and you'll likely want to play it 3 times in a row once you take it out. I honestly think the Black edition will detract from that.

Why? Because it's a prettier version? How do you figure that prettier = worse? This sounds an awful lot like a person trying to justify not buying something.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.762 seconds