October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2718 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Star Wars Risk

More
16 Sep 2015 09:39 #210742 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Star Wars Risk
We've played that the Death Star earns a card for clearing a space from game 1. Maybe I misread it, but I though that was intended any time you have a total victory.

Emperor can still kill Luke unless Vader is redeemed.

Just say no to stormtrooper stacking.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Sep 2015 10:10 #210743 by bfkiller
Replied by bfkiller on topic Star Wars Risk
I've read that the game is pretty heavily imbalanced in favour of the Rebels but I've only played it once so don't know for myself. But if that is the case, there are plenty of very easy house rules that could be implemented to level the playing field, so I don't think it'll be an issue for me.

More
16 Sep 2015 10:22 #210744 by eekamouse
Replied by eekamouse on topic Star Wars Risk

bfkiller wrote: I've read that the game is pretty heavily imbalanced in favour of the Rebels but I've only played it once so don't know for myself. But if that is the case, there are plenty of very easy house rules that could be implemented to level the playing field, so I don't think it'll be an issue for me.

I've played it five times with one Empire victory and one REALLY close game that still came down in favor of the Rebels. I think it's probably balanced toward the Rebels, but I wouldn't say heavily. There are some things the Empire must, like surround the Death Star with a blockade of Tie Fighters, and not worry about the Endor track too much early. I think if the Rebels get dealt a hand of Endor card after Endor card it goes much easier for them. One of the games I played was over in what seemed like five minutes with a Rebel cakewalk. Easy enough to setup and play again.

The close games are so exciting to make it worth those random catastrophes.

I think the Death Star clearing a sector and triggering a bonus card is the only real house required... and that might even be "as intended". The rules are hazy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller

More
16 Sep 2015 13:09 #210760 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic Star Wars Risk

SuperflyTNT wrote:
Why? Because it's a prettier version? How do you figure that prettier = worse? This sounds an awful lot like a person trying to justify not buying something.

Not at all. Overproduction in general irritates me since the game itself NEVER really benefits (unless it's a dexterity game). It tends to make the game more fiddly (ie, Queen's Gambit, Space Hulk 3e/4e) but in the case of simple games, I think it sets the wrong expectation and "oversells" the game. I know that sounds like a load of wonky, pretentious bullshit, but some games, no matter how good they are, simply do not warrant the "deluxe treatment." It's like these dicks I see who go all out on their copies of Epic Duels, it just ISN'T that kind of game. It's a pretty goofy, random as shit game that happens to be fun. It's not fucking War of the Ring. How cheap it is, how quick to set up, and how little the components get in the way of play is a huge part of the appeal. Star Wars Risk is also that kind of game. It's quick, really random, and while the stormtrooper tokens are disappointing, everything functions as well as it could. Minis would be a determent. A screen grab of a stormtrooper on a cardboard token is literally the only improvement they need.

Trust me, Pete, I'm a guy who owns a Collector's Edition War of the Ring, 3 editions of Space Hulk, and healthy collections of both X-Wing and Attack Wing. I'm not somebody who talks themselves out of buying something, and if I try to, I fail every time. No interest in Black edition, I can honestly say that. Nothing about that game is going to be made better by it (unless they re-write the rulebook, which would hit the Internet anyway).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
16 Sep 2015 13:15 #210761 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic Star Wars Risk
PS- X-Wings, B-Wings, Y-Wings, TIE Fighters are literally the same pieces from standard edition. Three new minis, stormtrooper figures you didn't need and a bigger (maybe?) board for twice the price. Whoop-dee-fucking-doo.

More
16 Sep 2015 13:27 #210764 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Star Wars Risk
The package needs to make sense as a whole. It's not so much about usability or value as it is about putting a false air of distinction on something that wouldn't carry it on its own. All parts of the entire package need to make sense with each other, and in this case I think the extra bling was aimed at the Kickstarter crowd. Had the hobby market not existed only the pulp version would have been produced and, like Epic Duels, everyone would have been happy with it.

S.

More
16 Sep 2015 14:10 #210770 by jgriff
Replied by jgriff on topic Star Wars Risk
I would normally agree but the lame ass Super Star Destroyer on a lowly piss poor counter while there are B-Wing minis is unacceptable. Even lamer-ass Stormtroopers and generic Strike Team tokens are worse.

I pimped by game because I had to, not because I wanted to. There are readily available Falcon and Star Destroyer minis and figures for Stormtroopers, Han Solo, Luke and Vader, why not use them? This game benefits from the toy factor.

I probably would have bought the Black Edition but unless I hear a bigger/better board and better cards, I don't see why I would at this point.
Attachments:

More
16 Sep 2015 14:48 #210774 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Star Wars Risk
Now I get what you're trying to say, Josh. I respectfully disagree, but as with all opinions, they're ours alone. I, personally, don't think there's ever a case where a game is overproduced. The more toys, the better cards, the more gimmicks, I'm all about it. I love that shit. If Al's Spacemen game didn't have 100 bad ass little miniatures, would I have bought it? Maybe, but probably not, to be fair.

I would like some clarification though: what doesn't make sense to me is that on one hand you're arguing that the production value of the Black version would "oversell" the game but on the other hand you're saying that the only difference is a couple plastic bits for 20$ more. Not sure I get the disconnect.

In any event, maybe it matters only based on your disposable income. If you make a hundred grand, it doesn't make sense NOT to get the best version of the game. If you make thirty grand, maybe it's much more of an economic decision. Hell, if you're a smoker, that's 4 packs of smokes difference between the two versions. Does 4 packs of smokes matter that much? 4 cups of overpriced Starbucks?

I know that I'm only buying it once, and I am a toy whore, so for me, I don't really have a choice. The Death Star and Destroyer are must-haves in my book. If I went with the cheaper version I'd always be pissed that I didn't get the cool toy version, so I don't mind waiting 5 months or whatever until I can get it. Just my 2c though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, OldHippy, Josh Look

More
16 Sep 2015 15:59 - 16 Sep 2015 16:00 #210779 by bfkiller
Replied by bfkiller on topic Star Wars Risk
Some rules clarifications from Hasbro. Based on my memory of the rules, the clarification for the Death Star seems... off.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1437040/some-rules-clarifications-direct-hasbro
Last edit: 16 Sep 2015 16:00 by bfkiller.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

More
16 Sep 2015 16:05 #210780 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Star Wars Risk

SuperflyTNT wrote: I know that I'm only buying it once, and I am a toy whore, so for me, I don't really have a choice. The Death Star and Destroyer are must-haves in my book. If I went with the cheaper version I'd always be pissed that I didn't get the cool toy version, so I don't mind waiting 5 months or whatever until I can get it. Just my 2c though.

They did look nice in that link ... may have to see the bank manager though to be able to buy it over here, hopefully some outlet will over buy and it's in a fire sale in 9 months (the Heroscape Master set got flogged off at around $12 here about 10 years ago so there is always hope, so I'm waiting for new hope).

More
16 Sep 2015 18:54 #210796 by Michael Barnes
I'll probably buy it because I'm stupid and I will have an extra kid's copy with the $30 version. I doubt it will be worth it. But it's turned out to be one of my favorite games this year and I do want the best version of it available.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
16 Sep 2015 20:45 #210804 by Columbob
Replied by Columbob on topic Star Wars Risk

Josh Look wrote: PS- X-Wings, B-Wings, Y-Wings, TIE Fighters are literally the same pieces from standard edition. Three new minis, stormtrooper figures you didn't need and a bigger (maybe?) board for twice the price. Whoop-dee-fucking-doo.

Whoa, I thought the $24 version was on SALE at that price. What's regular MSRP? In Canada the regular version is $40 everywhere (Amazon, TRU, Walmarde), I expect the Black series ed. to be no more than 60-70 based on that $50 in the US. Which is pretty expensive for a Risk game, but so's $40 which is what it's going for now.

More
17 Sep 2015 10:56 #210826 by jpat
Replied by jpat on topic Star Wars Risk

sagrilarus wrote: Risk is a well loved game that still sells exceptionally well. They put Risk in the name to increase sales. It's a great choice from a sales perspective.

Worked like a charm for Battleship Galaxies.

But I agree on the motivation. Why build new IP when there are two others with super-high recognition value (Star Wars, Risk)?

More
17 Sep 2015 11:12 #210827 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Star Wars Risk
To be fair, someone who liked Risk would be more likely to like this game than someone who didn't like Risk I'd imagine. By liking Risk, I include liking derivatives or just the dudes on a map style of game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

More
17 Sep 2015 17:29 #210855 by Michael Barnes
Risk is a well-established, well-recognized brand name for light, mainstream wargames. It doesn't matter if it isn't "like" Risk. That brand name has currency and value, and it informs the buyer that it's a game that at least has some very vague similarities in terms of concept.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.676 seconds