October 09, 2023
2514 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2712 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
26 Oct 2016 08:48 #236955 by hotseatgames

Mr. White wrote: I have never heard of Black Mirror until yesterday. I quick glimpse on what it's about and I see the first episode features pig-humping...

How graphic is it? I don't need shocks for shocks sake, so are the tales any good?

Every now and then there is some nudity, but most of the nastiness will appear in your own head.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Oct 2016 09:34 - 26 Oct 2016 09:41 #236961 by Grudunza

Mr. White wrote: I have never heard of Black Mirror until yesterday. I quick glimpse on what it's about and I see the first episode features pig-humping...

How graphic is it? I don't need shocks for shocks sake, so are the tales any good?

The pig-humping episode is one of the worst, IMO (though I still like it). They are all quite different in subject and style. Well, not all, and there are some stylistic connections. But for example, the next one ("Fifteen Million Merits") has a very different feel to it. And my favorite of the new season, "San Junipero," is also quite unique in tone.

They can all be disturbing in different ways, but I don't think anything else is as blatantly obnoxious as the pig-humping thing. I think it was dumb of the producers to lead the series with that, as I've heard several people say the same essential thing and not want to watch any more because that seemed too obnoxious, but unfortunately they're missing out on some amazing shows that follow. "White Christmas" is my favorite, featuring Jon Hamm in three interconnected stories, all very interesting.
Last edit: 26 Oct 2016 09:41 by Grudunza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

More
26 Oct 2016 09:42 #236962 by Mr. White
Yeah, I guess I was hoping this could be something my wife and I could watch which could lead to interesting conversation. I think something so far as pig-humping may take it too far and she wouldn't even be interested in giving the show a chance.

Perhaps we'll start on episode two...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
26 Oct 2016 10:02 - 26 Oct 2016 10:02 #236966 by hotseatgames
That episode does in fact lead to interesting conversation, in a similar way that episode 3 from season 3 does.... mainly, how far would you go when the stakes are high? What would you do to protect your life / save someone else's life?
Last edit: 26 Oct 2016 10:02 by hotseatgames.

More
26 Oct 2016 10:37 #236969 by Michael Barnes
I watched the first two. I really liked "Nosedive", it pretty much sums up why I don't participate in the morass of pettiness, jealousy, and vanity that is social media. BDH is great in it, and I liked the black comedy. "Playtest" was good, I liked how the designer was obviously modeled on Kojima. There was an authenticity in regard to video games that's still pretty rare in popular media. The main actor was sort of over the top though and the resolution was pretty predictable.

As for the pig screwing episode, they went for audacious and landed just short of juvenile. It was OK because the satire was decent but when I was watching it (spoiler) I kid you not, I thought "I bet this is some kind of Art thing" which led me to think about the Turner Prize since it's English. So I was not surprised by it.

More
26 Oct 2016 10:51 - 26 Oct 2016 11:03 #236973 by OldHippy
I don't know if there's been a show as interesting as Black Mirror in several years.

For one it's episodic... what a goddamn relief. I am sick to death of shows where I have to watch a whole season just to get into it. It's the time commitment that kills me. Black Mirror is perfect, you may not like an episode here and there but who cares? The next one is totally unrelated and you can just enjoy it. It's thoughtful, it's well directed and acted, it's original, it's relevant and there is no show that makes me want to hug my family, look them in the eyes, tell them I love them and then have a good talk with them quite like Black Mirror. It might be a little heavy handed in it's satire at times but it generally has good points and makes me want to be a better person. I'm not sure what more you could want from art that emanates from a TV than that.

White Christmas is also my favourite, it's goddamn haunting. White Bear shook me to the core as well though. It really solidified some views I had on people that I was having a hard time verbalizing. I can't say anymore because some people here haven't seen it but I came out of that with much more empathy than I had going in. Absolutely amazing show and definitely in the running for best Sci-Fi series of all time.

The pig humping episode isn't that bad actually, and I don't mind it being the lead in. It's not that graphic at all, everything is implied from what I remember. It doesn't hold a candle to the other episodes but compared to normal TV it's still brilliant... although that is a pretty low bar.
Last edit: 26 Oct 2016 11:03 by OldHippy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jarvis

More
26 Oct 2016 10:51 #236974 by Thrun

Obviously that one features a purposely gross thing, but thats not a generic theme in the shows, its social dystopia, and you should watch them all. You'll have favourite episodes for sure. Dont be put off by the pig fucker angle of episode 1.

More
26 Oct 2016 14:52 #236997 by Varys
What I found amusing about the whole pig episode was that it was made a few years before the whole David Cameron Piggate thing.

More
27 Oct 2016 12:45 - 27 Oct 2016 12:46 #237048 by Mr. White
Watched Black Mirror - Nosedive last night. Good stuff and right on point.

The kids can't get enough David Pumpkins. I can't seem to find the music anywhere...the boy wants to play it on his keyboard. I'm surprised it's not out there.
Last edit: 27 Oct 2016 12:46 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Black Barney, hotseatgames

More
27 Oct 2016 13:28 #237051 by Michael Barnes
San Junipero was an amazing piece of television. I think it might be the best episode of Black Mirror. It's definitely different, but the tone, acting, themes and concept are just incredible. I cried.

It's also the ONLY episode I've watched where I didn't have it sorted out halfway through the episode. I didn't know what the hell was going on- VR, time travel, quantum interpolation...the coda at the end was at once utterly chilling and full of unspoken wonder.

The episode before was ok, but I pretty much knew exactly what was going on from when the kid had a wank.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEM

More
27 Oct 2016 13:42 #237053 by ChristopherMD
Two episodes into season 3 of Black Mirror and not digging it so far. Not sure what the point of Episode 1 was since I thought she had a shitty life before and after her ratings dropped. Also seemed to drag on a bit too long. Episode 2 I didn't even finish. I found the main character to be pretty annoying and the rest was just boring. Will continue watching the season but its dropped from a must-see to a whenever I get around to it.

More
27 Oct 2016 13:59 - 27 Oct 2016 14:07 #237054 by Grudunza

Michael Barnes wrote: San Junipero was an amazing piece of television. I think it might be the best episode of Black Mirror. It's definitely different, but the tone, acting, themes and concept are just incredible. I cried.

It's also the ONLY episode I've watched where I didn't have it sorted out halfway through the episode. I didn't know what the hell was going on- VR, time travel, quantum interpolation...the coda at the end was at once utterly chilling and full of unspoken wonder.

The episode before was ok, but I pretty much knew exactly what was going on from when the kid had a wank.

You're more astute than I. I took the kid's experience at face-value, but should have known there was more to it (and there were clues). I thought it was clever, but a one-time watch, whereas something like "San Junipero" really was transcendent. That, "Fifteen Million Merits" and "White Christmas" are the best ones. Even if only a few hit that level, that's enough to keep me watching them all.
Last edit: 27 Oct 2016 14:07 by Grudunza.

More
27 Oct 2016 14:09 #237055 by Black Barney

Mr. White wrote:
The kids can't get enough David Pumpkins. I can't seem to find the music anywhere...the boy wants to play it on his keyboard. I'm surprised it's not out there.

I am almost 100% positive the song is called - You're Gonna Have a Bad Time

awesome tune...

More
27 Oct 2016 17:24 #237065 by Michael Barnes
I can't get San Junipero out my head. Especially with that song at the end. I think my mind was actually blown.

More
28 Oct 2016 01:41 #237090 by Michael Barnes
I have not laughed at (let alone watched) an SNL skit in...20 years? But that David Pumpkins thing is hilarious.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.565 seconds